According to campingship, Newcomb, New Mexico is a small city situated in the northwestern corner of the state. It is surrounded by the San Juan Mountains and has a mild climate with warm summers and cool winters. The city is steeped in history, as it was founded in 1883 by settlers looking to make a new start in the wild west. The city has seen many changes over the years, but it still maintains its small-town charm.
Politically, Newcomb is an independent municipality with a mayor-council form of government. The city is represented in the state legislature by two representatives and one senator who serve as advocates for local issues.
The economy of Newcomb relies heavily on tourism and agriculture. Tourism brings visitors to explore the area’s natural beauty, while agriculture provides jobs for local farmers who produce hay, alfalfa, and other crops.
Schools are an important part of life in Newcomb. The school district includes seven elementary schools and two high schools that offer educational opportunities for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are also several private schools that offer specialized programs for students with unique learning needs or interests.
Newcomb is home to many landmarks that attract visitors from all over the world including Chimney Rock National Monument which was built by Native Americans hundreds of years ago; Los Pinos Rio Grande Natural Area which offers hiking trails; and Petroglyph National Monument where ancient petroglyphs can be found on boulders scattered throughout the area. There are also numerous historic sites such as Old Town Plaza which was built during the late 1800s; Baca House Museum which showcases artifacts from around New Mexico; and San Miguel Mission which was built in 1610 by Spanish colonizers who brought Christianity to this region of New Mexico.
Males: 191 (49.4%), Females: 196 (50.6%)
San Juan County
Zip code: 87455
Median resident age: 31.5 years
Median household income: $16,500
Median house value: $35,700
Races in Newcomb:
- American Indian (85.5%)
- White Non-Hispanic (12.9%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (11.1%), Irish (3.9%), German (2.1%), English (1.3%).
Elevation: 5560 feet
Land area: 5.9 square miles
Newcomb, New Mexico is a small town located in the northern part of the state. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is known for its quiet rural setting and Native American culture. The majority of the population is Native American and they make up about 85% of the total population. The remaining 15% of the population is made up of mostly white Americans but there are also Mexican and Hispanic citizens living in Newcomb. The median age of the town is 44 years old with most people being between 25-64 years old. The median household income for families in Newcomb is around $45,000 annually which is slightly lower than the state average but still provides a comfortable living for many families. The unemployment rate in Newcomb is higher than other parts of the state due to its rural location however there are still many job opportunities available due to its close proximity to larger cities such as Santa Fe and Albuquerque. There are also many small businesses that have sprung up in recent years that provide locals with employment opportunities as well as a variety of services to residents and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Newcomb
- High school or higher: 56.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 25.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.1%
- Unemployed: 28.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newcomb CDP
- Never married: 48.8%
- Now married: 35.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 8.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Newcomb:
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; SHIPROCK, NM)
- LIFECOURSE CENTER FOR REHAB SERVICES (about 43 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
- SAN JUAN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 43 miles; FARMINGTON, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newcomb:
- FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL (about 46 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: FMN)
- CORTEZ MUNI (about 71 miles; CORTEZ, CO; Abbreviation: CEZ)
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 90 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: DRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newcomb:
- SHIPROCK AIRSTRIP (about 28 miles; SHIPROCK, NM; Abbreviation: 5V5)
- WINDOW ROCK (about 51 miles; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Abbreviation: RQE)
- CROWNPOINT (about 53 miles; CROWNPOINT, NM; Abbreviation: 0E8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newcomb:
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 52 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 92 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- NORTHLAND PIONEER COLLEGE (about 136 miles; HOLBROOK, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,177)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 165 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 167 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 168 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 192 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
Public high school in Newcomb:
- NEWCOMB HIGH (Students: 346; Location: NEWCOMB; Grades: 09 – 12)